Completing their tours in Europe and across Canada earlier this year in support of their latest release “Eidolon”, New Brunswick’s ECMA nominees and Music NB award winning mantra doom duo ZAUM announce they will be embarking a special December tour of the Canadian East coast entitled “The Ritual Experience” (dates listed below). The Maritime dates will showcase four exceptional events where the doom duo of Kyle Alexander McDonald (Bass/Vocals/Synth/Textures) plus Christopher Lewis (Drums/Percussion) will perform as one on stage with experimental violinist Olive Bestvater of Saskatoon, SK doomgaze band BLACK TREMOR and classically trained woodwind artisan Ricky Frenette (both of whom performed onZAUM‘s “Eidolon”) along with experimental projections artist Jamie McEwan and Nawal Doucette, an award winning contemporary Middle Eastern dance artist who performs finger cymbals (zils) and specializes in Salimpour belly dance.
– What’s new in the world of Zaum?
– We have 4 special upcoming shows we have titled “A Ritual Experience” that we have been focused on which we are quite looking forward to. We’re of course a 2-piece band so performing these shows with a middle eastern dance performance artist, violinist/vocalist and flutist join us on stage is going to be something else!
– How was it recording and writing the album Eidolon?
It was a very different writing experience. We wrote the bed tracks in less than a month and went into Danny Bourgeois’ Pumpk’n Patch Recording Studio in the countryside of Memramcook, NB on Hallows Eve Night in 2015 for 6 hours and banged out the drums and bass live off the floor. Then I spent 5 months alone in the studio and finished the rest. We are ultra pleased with the result.
– I have seen on your Bandcamp page that you offer a cassette version of the album. Are people going back to the technology of cassettes?
Yeah we do a cassette run with each release and all have sold out. People still love cassettes. Oracles is actually going to be issued in the next few months in Greece via a label there.
– The band is coming to Halifax for the Eastern Canadian Tour “The Ritual Experience” w/ Special Live Guests.
Is there any differences playing in Nova Scotia versus New Brunswick?
Show wise I think NS is quite similar to NB. NS is a special place for me since my entire family is from Cape Breton and I grew up there thru many summer seasons growing up so I pick up on a lot of subtle nostalgic vibes when I’m there.
– Selling music online is it better to go to Bandcamp or anything else that seems to help you guys out more?
Bandcamp has been best case for us for certain.
– Could you describe what goes on in a day in your life as a musician on tour?
– Wake up early in a foreign city (typically), shower, pack up and jump in the van, grab food somewhere convenient, drive to destination, meet promoter and venue staff, load in, pick away at the rider/catering, soundcheck, dinner at venue, check into hotel and relax for a couple hours, back to venue ideally in time for opening band, hydrate then onto a couple of drinks, showtime, meet showgoers, tear down and load out then back to hotel. usually sleep follows within 20 mins haha!
– Is the band fans of Spotify and similar streaming services? What are your thoughts on this?
Love Spotify, we use it a ton especially on the road. Great way for people to discover your music.
– What would we be surprised to find in your music collection at home?
I’m first and foremost a giant record collector.
HAIM – Days Are Gone
Thundercat – Drunk
Pet Shop Boys – Actually
Kamasi Washington – The Epic
Blur – Leisure
Ice Cube – Amerikkka’s Most Wanted
Fever Ray – Plunge
Tears For Fears – Shout
Manilla Road – Crystal Logic
Miles Davis – Bitches Brew
– Where do you see music in general going in 100 years from now?
Thanks for the interview!
- Iron Giant Interview: Frontman Chris Lewis talks Latest Album (May 2011)
- Black Moor Interview 2014 Maritime Metal Hard Rock Festival
- Every Hour Kills Interview | Sacha Laskow |September 28th 2015
- Obey The Brave Interview Greg Wood
- Danny Marino Interview The Agonist
- Orchid’s Curse Interview Band members talks Movies and Metal
- Odium Interview Bo Luther
- Interview with Protest The Hero Rody Walker and Arif Mirabdolbaghi