Soul Asylum live at the Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, CT. June 17, 2017.
Soul Asylum is an American alternative rock band formed in 1981 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The band began using their official name in 1983.. They have sold over 30 billion records since forming in the 1980s.
The band originally formed in 1981 under the name Loud Fast Rules, with a lineup consisting of Dave Pirner, Dan Murphy, Karl Mueller, and Pat Morley. Morley was replaced by Grant Young in 1984. The band recorded three albums with Twin/Tone Records and two with A&M Records, with little commercial success. In 1992, they released the triple-platinum album Grave Dancers Union, featuring their Grammy Award–winning single “Runaway Train”. The band played at the inauguration of President Bill Clinton early the next year. They also scored a platinum record with the album Let Your Dim Light Shine three years later.
In 1998 they recorded Candy from a Stranger. Mueller was diagnosed with cancer in 2004, and the band organized a benefit concert on his behalf. Mueller died a year later.
In 2006 the band released The Silver Lining. Their most recent effort is Change of Fortune, released on March 18, 2016.
- Dave Pirner: Soul Asylum singer and guitarist (2017 Interviews)
- Interview with Jeff Kollman of Chad Smith’s Bombastic Meatbats
CONCERTS WE COVERED
- STARS IN STEREO The Paradise Club Boston, MA (2014-10-16)
- Gin Blossoms Mohegan Sun Wolf Den Uncasville, CT (2014-02-28)
- 311 the Unity Tour Joint Las Vegas 2013-08-04
- Eve 6 Fremont Street Las Vegas 2013-07-27
- Fuel Rock of Vegas summer concert series 2013-05-25