Dario Mollo guitarist for Voodoo Hill talks about his latest album Waterfall with Glenn Hughes (Deep Purple, Trapeze, Black Country Communion and California Breed).
Dario Mollo Interview
– What’s new in the world of Dario Mollo and Voodoo Hill?
I’m mixing a brand new project that I will announce shortly, in the meanwhile I’m quite busy promoting the Waterfall release.
– How was it recording the Voodoo Hill album Waterfall with Glenn Hughes?
For the previous two Voodoo Hill albums Glenn came over to my studio to record the vocals and it was an amazing experience for me, Glenn is a genius, he can record an entire album in 2 days.
For Waterfall Glenn has recorded the vocal parts in his studio in Los Angeles.
– How did you go about making the artwork and choosing it?
Very often I personally assemble and modify my guitars, the one you see in the cover is my latest one.
I wasn’t happy with the weight of the boby so I drilled a lot of holes to make it lighter and then painted in matt white; I was so happy with the results that I’ve built the cover around this guitar.
– When writing a song, is there such a thing as investing too much time?
I’ve written my best songs in a couple of hours, some other require a lot more time in changing and rewriting parts.
I invest quite a lot of time in recording and producing the album, I don’t want compromises in quality.
– How did you create your guitar tone? Do you continue to tweak it or is «old faithful» the way to go?
I have the sound in my head, I like to experiment new gear all the time but at the end I obtain always the same sound. The Kemper profiler is an amazing tool for me, I can experiment with my tube amps and recall the sounds very easily.
– Do you have any tours coming up in the near future?
I’m thinking to form a band and play songs from all my past projects but it’s quite a challenge ‘cos the business these days is too difficult.
– Could you describe some of your earliest influences in life and in music?
The first and bigger influence it’s been Ritchie Blackmore and Deep Purple, I love Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and many bands from the seventies. Music is my life so both influences match.
– Will there be a promo video coming out for the album? What do you think of lyric videos?
Yes, it’s already on line. It’s a Hybrid video, the first half Lyric and, during my solo the Waterfall World come into life with a lot of animations and it becomes a regular video. It’s me performing the solo in the cd cover landscape with the “Drilled” guitar.
– Do you see a biography being written someday about the experiences you acquired or will acquire in your life?
I need to do a lot of more things before this, but I’m trying to be helpful with young generations sharing my experiences.
– Any words of wisdom to share with aspiring artists?
Try to be yourself in the artistic part of your life, the more you improve as a human being the more you will improve as an artist.